WASHINGTON—Republican Whip and Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis (SSOCC) Ranking Member Steve Scalise (R-La.) today issued the following statement on the Democrats’ latest coronavirus report.
“Democrats’ latest partisan report issued just days before the election underscores how they’ve used the Select Subcommittee to attack President Trump and politicize the pandemic to the detriment of the American people. Democrats’ scare tactics about schools reopening harm children’s learning and literacy. Their fear mongering on vaccine development and therapeutics undermines public health. And their support for more lockdowns, which are not supported by thousands of doctors and scientists, would destroy jobs and our economy.
“Contrary to the Democrats’ baseless claims, the facts clearly show that President Trump’s leadership during this unprecedented pandemic has our country on a path to a full recovery. From testing to vaccine development to safely reopening our economy and schools, President Trump followed the science to develop national plans that have been rapidly implemented to address an ever-changing situation. President Trump and Republicans are committed to defeating COVID-19 and fully restoring the greatest economy in the world. Unfortunately, Democrats’ continued partisanship on this issue shows that they are only committed to defeating President Trump.”
SSOCC Republicans have gathered five key facts over the past several months:
- China lied about the dangers of COVID-19 while simultaneously hoarding PPE and allowing Chinese nationals – including thousands from Wuhan – to travel abroad.
- The Trump Administration responded immediately to the emerging threat.
- President Trump made tough, but effective decisions based on the best advice of medical professionals. The President’s decisions saved hundreds of thousands of lives.
- The Trump Administration has led an unprecedented effort to produce and distribute PPE, create the world’s best testing infrastructure, reduce fatalities through better treatments, and create a safe and effective vaccine faster than any in human history.
- Democrat governors ignored guidance from the Trump Administration and sent COVID-19 positive patients back to nursing homes, resulting in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.
Earlier this month, SSOCC Republicans released a report, “President Trump’s Plan: A Whole of America Response,” which dispels the Democrats’ partisan attacks on the Trump Administration’s strong leadership and response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It highlights President Trump’s numerous national plans tailored to specific situations that provided operational flexibility and rapid responses to ever changing situations.